Academic Support Professional (Math/Science) – Part Time
Dominican University New York (formerly Dominican College) located in Rockland County, 20 miles north of New York City, seeks an enthusiastic candidate with a strong orientation toward student-centered service to fill the position of math/science Academic Support Professional. This is a part-time position. The Academic Support Professional is a member of the Academic Success Center. The Academic Support Professional contributes to a student-centered environment and is an integral component of and supports the work of the Academic Success Center, including the operations of the Center, in providing help to students who need to improve their performance in academic skills. The incumbent reports to the Director of the Academic Success Center, who is responsible for agreeing on and communicating applicable duties. In the absence of the Director, the incumbent reports to the Assistant Director or Associate Academic Dean or, in his/her absence, to the Academic Dean.
The Academic Support Professional has a fixed part-time schedule during the fall and spring semesters. Additional hours may be scheduled during evenings and weekends.
A completed graduate degree in a relevant discipline is strongly preferred but the exceptional candidate with some graduate credits may be considered. Previous tutoring or teaching experience is required.
The Academic Support Professional will have the ability to:
- practice effective tutoring techniques:
- research and implement relevant pedagogy,
- stay current with best practices, use the four-step process;
- tutor students in an individualized setting by identifying strengths and weaknesses of students’ academic skills;
- consistently utilize strong verbal and written communication when interacting with students, faculty, and staff
- exhibit administrative skills:
- attention to detail, dependable, problem solving
- excellent organizational ability
- good customer service
- demonstrate strong computer skills in typing, scheduling software, Microsoft Office, e-mail, and data collecting
- use interpersonal skills with tact, patience, and courtesy
- multitask in a fast-paced environment.
Dominican University New York is a private institution with approximately 2,000 students and 400 faculty and staff. Our heritage stresses the humanistic value of a Liberal Arts education, a commitment to social justice, and a strong belief in the need for integrity and community engagement, all in the service of preparing students to reach their potential as responsible citizens who enrich the world in which we live.
Qualified candidates should email their resume to email@example.com
Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire.
Dominican University New York is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to excellence through equity and inclusion, and, in this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from members of historically underrepresented groups. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected category in accordance with applicable law.