Dominican University New York (formerly Dominican College), located in Rockland County, 20 miles north of New York City, seeks an enthusiastic candidate with a strong orientation toward user-centered service to fill the role of Assistant Librarian for Access Services.
Reporting to the University’s Head Librarian, the Assistant Librarian works in close collaboration with Library staff to actively coordinate, promote, and deliver access to collections, research services and instruction. Areas of responsibility include but are not limited to:
- Oversee and perform circulation services, including supervision of four staff
- Manage access and circulation functions of the ILS (SirsiDynix Symphony) including patron account creation and maintenance, and resolution of overdues and fines
- Hire, train, and supervise library work study students
- Manage reserve collection and supervise maintenance of book stacks
- Oversee and deliver reference service
- Provide library instruction
- Evaluate collections and materials
- Assist with outreach on campus and via social media
- Other duties as assigned
During the Academic Semesters: Sunday 11am-7pm and Monday-Thursday 12-8pm;
During intersessions and summer: Sunday 11am-7pm and Monday-Thursday 11am-7pm.
Hours may also vary during exam periods.
Requirements: The successful candidate will have an ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent graduate LIS degree. This individual should have supervisory experience, and excellent communication, interpersonal and technology skills. The candidate should demonstrate a learner-centered approach to assisting library users. A commitment to developing and maintaining familiarity with current and emerging trends in access services is essential. Candidates who bring diverse cultural experience and are qualified to assist, teach, and mentor the members of a diverse student population are especially encouraged to apply. Bilingual a plus. Two years of experience, preferably in an academic library and experience in access/public services and instruction preferred.
Dominican University New York is a private institution with approximately 2,000 students and 400 faculty and staff. Our heritage stresses the humanistic value of a Liberal Arts education, a commitment to social justice, and a strong belief in the need for integrity and community engagement, all in the service of preparing students to reach their potential as responsible citizens who enrich the world in which we live.
Qualified candidates should email their cover letter and CV to email@example.com
Application Deadline: June 22, 2022