Dominican University New York has an opening for a part-time ESL/ELL Specialist. The ESL/ELL Specialist is a part-time staff member of the Academic Success Center (ASC) appointed to the position for the course of the grant and housed in the ASC to support the students in their courses. The ESL/ELL Specialist is responsible for tutoring students on both an individual and group basis in their courses. This is a part-time position with a variable schedule that will encompass 25 hours a week during the traditional fall and spring semesters for a total of 30 weeks and a maximum of 750 hours.
Level of Education:
Required: Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in Education, ESL or Bilingual Education.
Desired: Master’s Degree in the field of education preferred. NYS teaching certification, preferably NYS certificate in ESL or bilingual education.
Required: Fluent in Spanish language skills.
Desired: Fluent in intermediate to advanced Spanish language skills. Experience working with specialized academic software to facilitate remote tutoring sessions.
Type and Length of Experience:
Required: Minimum 2 years tutoring or teaching.
Desired: Minimum 2 years tutoring or teaching a diverse population within a higher education setting on a one-on-one basis.
· Plan, prepare and deliver tutoring sessions to students in a one-to-one setting and in small groups and develop appropriate study aids for these students.
· Be available to work with students in person and remotely on a flexible schedule to accommodate the students’ course schedules.
· Assess the academic strengths and weaknesses of the students and develop individualized strategies to refine tutoring and inform instructional practices for greater student outcomes.
· Communicate effectively and maintain strong relationships with students, faculty, and administrators of the ASC.
· Develop and conduct group workshops and webinars for program students on the instruction of a specific skill or topic.
· Demonstrate ability to train other teachers to detect students who are limited English proficient.
· Make appointments with the students; follow the four-step process for tutoring and record session notes.
· Make students aware of various special services resources available to them at the University (the Office of Special Services, Career Development, etc.)
· Perform outreach to students, TAs, and faculty based on students’ needs and progress.
· Provide ongoing and timely feedback to students on their progress towards meeting expectations and achieving goals.
· Summarize and offer recommendations for students in periodic progress reports submitted to the STEM Project Coordinator.
· Participate in the orientation session for the STEM students.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualified candidates should forward a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to email@example.com
Dominican University New York is a private, not-for-profit institution. Our heritage stresses the humanistic value of a Liberal Arts education, a commitment to social justice, and a strong belief in the need for integrity and community engagement, all in the service of preparing students to reach their potential as responsible citizens who enrich the world in which we live.
Dominican University New York is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to excellence through equity and inclusion, and, in this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from members of historically underrepresented groups. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected category in accordance with applicable law.