- This event has passed.
Student Leadership Awards Ceremony
April 25 @ 7:00 pm
On Tuesday, April 25th, 2023, the Office of Student Development will sponsor the 36th Annual Student Leadership Awards. They will be honoring students who have made significant contributions of leadership and service to the University outside of the classroom.
In support of the mission of the University, students will be recognized in the following categories related to Leadership, Service, and Excellence:
- Outstanding Contribution to a Club or Organization: up to two students per club – selected by the club, organization and/or faculty advisor.
- The Fr. Ronald Stanley Award for Service to the Community: This honor is awarded to a student who exemplifies and lives the mission of service. Nominees should possess enthusiasm, dedication and compassion when working with those who are marginalized, disadvantaged or underprivileged. This student has also encouraged others to become active in service and has taken on leadership roles to help foster a culture of service to others in the Dominican University Community.
- The Sr. Barbara McEneany Award for Spirited Involvement in Campus Life: This honor is awarded to a student who demonstrates campus spirit through active involvement in student life outside the classroom and an appreciation of the Dominican University experience.
- The Sr. Kathleen Sullivan Award For Significant Contribution to the Academic Life of the College: This honor is awarded to 1 or 2 students who have made major contributions to the student life in an academic program- preferably for a period longer than one year, through both academic and co-curricular contributions to their chosen program. Students nominated for this award are exemplary students, both academically and in leadership of their cohort/ program.
- The Dohn Harshbarger Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Life of the College: This honor is awarded to 1 or 2 students who have made major contributions to student life in an overall sense – normally for a longer period than one year and in a diverse set of areas, whose record of extra-curricular achievement is outstanding and whose academic record is commendable.
- The Hennessy Family Scholarship Award in Honor of the Dominican Sisters of Blauvelt: This leadership award is given by the former chair of the Board of Trustees, James Hennessy, and his wife, Barbara in recognition of a student leader in their Junior Year who has displayed exceptional leadership outside of the classroom and has a minimum GPA of 3.0. This award is accompanied by a $2,000 Scholarship.
- The Sr. Mary Eileen O’Brien Award for Citizenship and Service to the College: This honor is awarded to a student who represents excellence, good citizenship, and service to the College through student leadership and role modeling. Nominees should exhibit the ability to lead, organize, empower, and inspire fellow students. Students should possess a high degree of commitment, creativity, initiative and integrity. As quality leadership is a way of conducting one’s self and not merely possession of a title or position, candidates need not have held positions of high visibility.