Dominican University New York (formerly Dominican College) in Rockland County, 20 miles north of New York City, seeks a Graduate Residence Director of Residence Life. This is a 12 month, on-campus position which includes an apartment & board. Hours are 9 AM to 5 PM with some evening & weekend work required on a rotational basis.
The Residence Director (RD) is a full-time, entry-level position. The RD is to create and maintain a vibrant program in the residence halls in which the greatest educational, social, and cultural values for the individual student will be realized. The RD reports to the Assistant Director of Residence Life. With the supervision of 6-12 Resident Assistants, the RD will also be responsible for overseeing 1-2 Residence Halls with approximately 165-225 students.
- Facilitate development of community by creating opportunities for residents to interact; conduct hall meetings; educate residents about being a member of a community, and initiate discussions between roommates.
- Plan, organize and implement events and activities that meet needs of residents according to departmental programming model.
- Mediate conflicts that may occur between roommates and among residents.
- Collaborate with the RA Staff to implement floor programming.
- Assist with the creation and implementation of departmental wide programming including and not limiting to residential orientation and end of the year celebration
- Conducts weekly walk through of building.
- Maintains regular office hours balanced between mornings, afternoons, and evenings.
- Serve as a low-level hearing officer
- Generate related judicial correspondence to the residents in a timely fashion
- Consult with the Director of Residence Life regarding referrals and other necessary action
- Enforce University and residence hall policies.
Bachelor’s degree required. Previous residence life experience a plus. Strong communication and interpersonal skills plus proficiency with technology essential.
Dominican University New York is a private institution with approximately 2,000 students and 400 faculty and staff. Our heritage stresses the humanistic value of a Liberal Arts education, a commitment to social justice, and a strong belief in the need for integrity and community engagement, all in the service of preparing students to reach their potential as responsible citizens who enrich the world in which we live.
Qualified candidates should email their resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.