Dominican University New York (formerly Dominican College), located in Rockland County, 20 miles north of New York City, seeks an enthusiastic candidate to fill the role of Internship Coordinator/Career Counselor. This is a 10-month position.
Reporting to the Director of Career Development, the Internship Coordinator/Career Counselor prepares and assists students in securing internships and completing career objectives. Responsibilities include developing, and identifying new internship opportunities, helping students navigate the internship application process, providing workshops and class presentations for students on internships and other career readiness content, providing career advising, reviewing cover letters and resumes, developing and maintaining strong working relationships with faculty and employers, and assisting at career development events.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal. Strong organizational and leadership skills as well as a team player. Proficiency in technology. Minimum of one to two years’ of experience in a college setting, recruitment, development, or another relevant business setting. A Master’s degree in career counseling, psychology, education, human resources, communications, or a relevant field is a plus.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide individual career advising to students and discuss career goals
- Review/revise resumes, assist with interviewing skills, orient and prepare students for internships and mentor them through the process
- Create and facilitate internship orientations and workshops; present internship information to classes and student organizations
- Assist in identifying, developing, and maintaining internship opportunities
- Utilize DCLink (DUNY’s online recruitment system for students and alumni) to assist students with internship and job search
- Build and maintain positive relationships with employers and troubleshoot any workplace problems that students incur at their internship site
- Maintain standards for internships, accurate records, and data on students and employer contacts
- Work with faculty and staff to promote cooperative relationships that will result in increased internships for students
- Keep current on employment trends and best practices
- Participate in career development events and other outreach activities
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Dominican University New York is a private institution with approximately 2,000 students and 400 faculty and staff. Our heritage stresses the humanistic value of a Liberal Arts education, a commitment to social justice, and a strong belief in the need for integrity and community engagement, all in the service of preparing students to reach their potential as responsible citizens who enrich the world in which we live.
Qualified candidates should email their cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Dominican University New York is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to excellence through equity and inclusion and, in this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from members of historically underrepresented groups. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected category in accordance with applicable law.