Dominican University New York has an opening for a part-time STEM Transfer and Bridge Advisor for the course of a grant that is renewed annually. This role is responsible for assisting community college students transferring to Dominican University New York with the proper coursework for STEM majors. This includes advising and coordinating the transfer of course credits to support these students in earning their STEM degrees and the University’s aims in terms of excellence, leadership, and service. This is a part-time position with a variable schedule that will encompass 25 hours a week during the 32 weeks of traditional fall and spring semesters, two weeks for the summer for a total of 34 weeks, and a maximum of 850 hours.
· Advise students on degree-specific programs and procedures, and develop course plans.
· Ensure students meet educational goals as a primary guide through degree requirements.
· Furnish course registration assistance to students.
· Identify at-risk student scenarios and highlight opportunities for academic success improvement.
· Oversee individual educational goals and help each student stay on track.
· Partner with the Admissions Office to increase outreach to prospective economically and educationally disadvantaged students in the counties of Bergen, Bronx, New York, Orange, Rockland, Sullivan, and Westchester.
· Conduct outreach to local community colleges to meet with advisors and prospective students.
· Develop and offer a program orientation for accepted students connecting these students with the University’s various support services.
· Create and update annually a resource handbook for the students in the program.
· Meet periodically with the students in both one-on-one and group settings and schedule special presentations and workshops for these students.
· Serve as a liaison between these students and their faculty, advisors, and program coordinators as needed.
· Review tracking reports of program students from their assigned faculty and meet monthly with each student’s academic advisor.
· Serve as a resource/support for students on a variety of non-academic issues, helping with unique “sense of belonging” issues for transfer students.
· Assess the effectiveness of the program annually and use this assessment to identify needs/opportunities for Division-wide program and course modifications and to develop other strategic initiatives; make recommendations regarding these to the PC.
· Serve as a member on the University-wide Retention Committee.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s Degree required in education, sociology, or a related subject, Master’s Degree preferred.
· At least three years of advising experience, preferably experience in STEM in higher education.
· Proficient in MS Office required.
· Ability to communicate in Spanish preferred.
· Strong ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, collaborate, and work autonomously, and ability to analyze and use data to develop and evaluate new initiatives.
Dominican University New York is a private institution with approximately 2,000 students and 400 faculty and staff. Our heritage stresses the humanistic value of a Liberal Arts education, a commitment to social justice, and a strong belief in the need for integrity and community engagement, all in the service of preparing students to reach their potential as responsible citizens who enrich the world in which we live.
Dominican University New York is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to excellence through equity and inclusion, and, in this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from members of historically underrepresented groups. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected category in accordance with applicable law.
Qualified candidates should forward a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to: email@example.com.