Dominican University New York (formerly Dominican College) located in Rockland County, 20 miles north of New York City, has openings for three Professional Tutors for Science: Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. The Professional Tutor for Science is a part-time staff member of the Academic Success Center (ASC) appointed to the position for the course of the grant and housed in the ASC to support the students in their STEM courses. This part-time position has a variable schedule that will encompass up to 20 hours a week during the traditional fall and spring semesters for a total of 30 weeks and a maximum of 600 hours. Paid training starts in last week of July for a late August start.
Master’s in relevant discipline. Minimum two years tutoring or teaching. Minimum two years tutoring or teaching a diverse population within a higher education setting on a one-on-one basis.
Master’s in education with relevant discipline. Experience as a classroom course instructor or professional tutor. Experience working with specialized academic software to facilitate remote tutoring sessions preferred.
The Biology Tutor is responsible for tutoring students on both an individual and group basis in their biology courses. The position requires the ability to tutor courses in general biology, genetics, and scientific writing.
The Chemistry Tutor is responsible for tutoring students on both an individual and group basis in their chemistry courses. The position requires the ability to tutor courses in general chemistry, organic chemistry, and biochemistry.
The Physics Tutor is responsible for tutoring students on both an individual and group basis in their physics courses. The position requires the ability to tutor courses in general physics and scientific writing.
- Provide tutoring services for students in an individualized setting and develop appropriate study aids for these students.
- Be available to work with students in person and remotely on a flexible schedule to accommodate the students’ course schedules.
- Assess the academic strengths and weaknesses of the students and develop individualized strategies to help them succeed in their courses.
- Develop and conduct group workshops and webinars for program students on the instruction of a specific skill or topic.
- Make appointments with the students; follow the four-step process for tutoring and record session notes.
- Make students aware of various special services resources available to them at the College (the Office of Special Services, Career Development, etc.).
- Interact with Science faculty and administrators by providing information on students’ needs and progress.
- Perform outreach to students, TAs, and faculty based on students’ needs and progress.
- Summarize and offer recommendations for students in periodic progress reports submitted to the STEM Project Coordinator.
- Participate in the orientation session for the STEM students.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Dominican University New York is a private institution with approximately 2,000 students and 400 faculty and staff. Our heritage stresses the humanistic value of a Liberal Arts education, a commitment to social justice, and a strong belief in the need for integrity and community engagement, all in the service of preparing students to reach their potential as responsible citizens who enrich the world in which we live.
Qualified candidates should email their resume to email@example.com
Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire.
Dominican University New York is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to excellence through equity and inclusion, and, in this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from members of historically underrepresented groups. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected category in accordance with applicable law.