What is the BLAST Program?
The BLAST program at Dominican University will support academically talented but financially challenged students, allowing them to complete a baccalaureate degree in the Biological Sciences in four years. In addition, this program will provide a variety of resources proven to ensure student success and transition to a career in STEM.
What are the requirements for admission to the BLAST Program?
The application process is competitive and directed at academically strong students with demonstrated financial need who are considering careers in Biology or a related sub-discipline.
General Eligibility Requirements:
- Be a US citizen, permanent resident, national, or hold refugee status
- Demonstrate financial need as obtained from the FAFSA report, which recipients are mandated to complete yearly
- A cumulative high school GPA of at least a 3.0 out of a possible 4.0.
- Be registered as a full-time, first-year student at Dominican University (12 credits or greater per semester)
- Be enrolled in the General Biology and Pathways to Biology sequence during their first year
Selection process: To be considered, you will submit applications to Admissions following acceptance to Dominican University. Your application will be supported by two recommendation forms and a personal statement on career aspirations. High school transcripts are required by the University before acceptance, as well as transcripts that indicate any accruement of prior college or AP credits. Enrollment will notify you of your acceptance no later than March 31, 2023.
Criteria for Retention and Renewal: Scholarships will be renewed each June, provided all eligibility requirements are met. Scholarships are available for a maximum of four years. You must maintain an overall and science GPA of 2.5 by the end of your freshman year and should demonstrate reasonable effort in participating in BLAST activities. By the end of sophomore year, you must have an overall and science GPA of 2.7 and 2.9 by the end of junior year. At the end of the fall semester, if your GPA falls below the minimum or does not demonstrate a reasonable effort to participate in the BLAST activities, you will be encouraged to seek tutoring from the Academic Success Center. Should you be dismissed from the BLAST program following unsuccessful demonstration of academic ability, waitlisted students will be considered as a replacement.
How can I apply?
- Fill out and submit the Dominican University Admissions Application
- Fill out and submit the BLAST Scholarship Application online. This application includes writing a personal essay and having two recommendation forms forwarded to us (see the application form for details).
- Fill out and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid form.