NYS Enhanced Tuition Awards

Dominican University is strongly committed to enrolling qualified students, regardless of their financial means. It is for that reason that the University has opted to participate in a new program from New York State, the Enhanced Tuition Award Program (ETA).

Enhanced Tuition Awards of up to $6,000 are available for NYS resident students enrolled in a private college in New York State.  This ETA Award is not guaranteed.  If you would like to speak with someone about attending Dominican University with the NYS Enhanced Tuition Award contact our Financial Aid Office at (845) 848-7821 or financial.aid@duny.edu. You can also use the online form


What is the Enhanced Tuition Awards Program?

The Enhanced Tuition Awards program provides tuition awards to students who are NYS residents attending a private, not-for-profit college located in New York State.

What does it mean to be a “NYS resident” for purposes of receiving this award?

To be considered a NYS resident for purposes of receiving this award, you must have resided in the State for 12 continuous months prior to the term for which the award is being sought.

How much can I receive from the Enhanced Tuition Awards (ETA) Program?

An Enhanced Tuition Awards recipient can receive up to $6,000 through a combination of their TAP award and the ETA award. For example, a student who receives a $1,000 TAP award would receive an additional $5,000 ETA award – half of which would be paid by the State and the other half by the College.

Will I be able to get an award for the fall?

Yes, you may.  You will have to apply to New York State and the State will determine whether or not you will receive the award.

When will I be able to apply for the award?

It is anticipated that the Enhanced Tuition Award application will be available in July.

Can I get an award if I’m currently going to a private college?

Yes. Students who are currently attending college are eligible to receive an award, provided they are currently on track to complete their degree on time.

How long can I get the award?

You are eligible to get an award for up to two years for students pursuing an associate’s degree and up to four years for students pursuing a bachelor’s degree. Students in an undergraduate program of study normally requiring five years are eligible to receive the award for five years.

Do I need a certain grade point average to get or keep the award?

Award recipients need to earn a passing grade to maintain their Enhanced Tuition Awards, provided they earn a total of 30 credits over the course of a year.
Recipients should keep in mind that they may have other awards which also carry academic standards that differ from those required for the Enhanced Tuition Awards.

Can I get an award if I’m a transfer student?

A student who transferred between colleges is eligible for an Enhanced Tuition Award if they are on track to complete on time based on the number of credits accepted by their current college.

Once I receive the scholarship, is it possible to lose it?

You can lose the scholarship if you do not continue to meet all eligibility requirements. For example, you must enroll in at least 12 credits per term and complete 30 credits per year to continue to receive the scholarship.

If I completed my associate’s degree, can I receive this award to get my bachelor’s degree?

Yes, provided the college that you are attending accepted all of the credits you earned in completing your associate’s degree, and meet all other requirements for the Enhanced Tuition Award.

Are there any other requirements that I must meet after I complete my degree?

Yes. You must live in New York State for the number of years equal to awards you received. For example, if you received three Enhanced Tuition Awards while getting your bachelor’s degree, you must live in New York State for three years after college. In addition, if you are working during those years, you must work in New York State.

Failure to meet these requirements will result in the conversion of your award to an interest free loan.

Do students with disabilities under the ADA need to complete 30 credits per year?

No. Students with disabilities under the ADA are allowed to attend on a part-time basis and their award will be prorated.

Contact a Financial Aid Counselor

Ask your financial aid question here:

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.